Imperial RPM / Feed Calculators
- RPM: (Revolution per minute)
- The number of times the tool or stock rotates 360° during a 1 minute time interval.
- SFM: (Surface feet per minute)
- The distance traveled in feet per minute by a cutting edge during a 1 minute period.
The value is a combination of the material the cutting tool is made of and the material to be machined.
These values are best described by the cutting tool manufacturer.
- Website Note: I am working on a chart of basic SFMs.
- IPM: (Feed inch per minute)
- The distance in inches traveled during a one minute time interval.
- Chip load: (Chip thickness)
- The thickness of the chip that a single cutting edge will produce in one
rotation or a single linear pass.
- Material removal rate:
- The material that is removes in cubic inches (in3) per minute.
Last Updated: 29 August 2011